Mmmmmmm who doesn’t love those chewy, fudgey, decadent, edges of brownies lining the sides of your brownie pan? So rich and chocolatey, and a nice chewy crisp make the texture of the infamous brownies on the edge beloved to many. What could be better?
How about 360 degrees of that perfect texture in a cookie? Oh and with some creamy salted caramel. Yes, caramel. I am always looking to see how I can take my desserts to the next level. Salted caramel brownie cookies. This is it folks.
The recipe of this cookie is a modification of one by the talented Donna Hay and is quite easy. It requires a melted dark chocolate brew stirred with a minimal amount of flour. I use Ghirardhelli or Valrohna dark chocolate, because of their superb quality, and as the main ingredient, the flavor is important.
First, you will melt this delicious dark chocolate with the butter. You may simply do this in the microwave in 30 second intervals of stirring and checking. Or you may opt to do this in a double boiler; I simply place a pyrex bowl over a smaller pot of boiling water. Either way works well, and with either method you need to be careful not to scorch the chocolate.
After you have prepared the fluffy meringue of sugar and eggs, sift the dry ingredients. Sifting the flour helps ensure a smooth batter with no lumps. I use a mesh strainer to shake the flour and baking powder through; you do not need any fancy gadgets. Next, comes the coffee, the essential companion to chocolate. Using coffee or espresso in chocolate recipes enhances and deepens the flavors of the chocolate. Then you will add that velvety melted chocolate. Try not to eat half of it as you pour and scrape the sides. If you tend to do this (as I do), then melt more chocolate than needed! 🙂
For the caramel, I use Rolos candy. I like to chop them only once, in half, to maximize the amount of caramel in each stretch. These seriously ooze chocolate and caramel in every bite! How perfect 🙂
A man may suffer from levitra 100mg pills impotency if he is not emotionally attracted to his mate. So precaution should be taken to avoid all these generic levitra from canada conditions. Available in various dosages Kamagra tablets provide males cheap levitra http://frankkrauseautomotive.com/cars-for-sale/page/3/ lost potency of achieving firm, thicker, longer and healthy erections to satisfy their female partners. Living with dry and generic cialis itchy eyes can cause havoc for a person, as it interferes with life on a daily basis in order to seek permanent improvement of the condition.
Finally, it is absolutely necessary to refrigerate the batter for at least 10 minutes so that you could a) easily scoop the batter into round dollops and b) so that the cookies keep their shape as they bake. Once the cookie batter is dolloped onto a baking sheet (I recommend using silicone baking mats), sprinkle with coarse sea salt. Bake at 350 degrees and let the magic happen.
Grab a plate. And a cold glass of milk.
- 500 grams of dark chocolate chunks (3 cups)
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2/3 c white sugar
- 2/3 c dark brown sugar
- 1/2 c flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup chopped Rolos caramel candies
- 1 tsp instant coffee or ground espresso
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 2 cups, or 400 grams, of the chocolate with the butter in a double boiler (one pyrex bowl placed over a pot of boiling water), or in a microwave while stirring every 30 secs. Do not overheat as this will ruin the chocolate's consistency. Set aside.
- Whip the eggs with the sugar for about 10 minutes until pale and creamy.
- Sift the flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour gradually to the egg and sugar mixture.
- Add the espresso or coffee grounds.
- Stir in the melted chocolate until well incorporated.
- Add the remaining chocolate chunks, as well as the chopped caramel candies.
- Set in refrigerator for 10-20 minutes.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the mixture onto a baking sheet for each cookie, leaving 1-2 inches between each cookie as these will spread. Sprinkle each cookie with coarse salt.
- Place the cookie sheet in the middle rack on the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until the top of the cookie is cracked. Do not over bake! Check on the cookies by 8 minutes as cooking times vary, depending on your oven.
- You may choose to sprinkle a pinch more salt on top of each cookie after baking, if the salt appears to have dissolved while in the oven.
- From my experience, if you have a cookie sheet baking underneath another one, the bottom rack of cookies don't develop the beautiful crackled top layer.
- You may use chewy caramel candies, however these did not spread in the cookie as much as the Rolos.